We all know that typing is not always a strong suit with many of our students (ok, I will admit it is not my strong suit either). Sometimes it is almost painful to get our students to type up projects for publishing, especially our youngest students. The good news is that Chromebooks have a built-in tool to help with this. All you have to do is enable the “Dictation” tool and students can use their voice to type. Give it a try! (This only works on Chromebooks, not Windows/Mac.)
- Sign in to your Chromebook. This will need to be done in each student account).
- Click on the clock in the bottom right and click the Settings Gear.
- On the left click on "Advanced" and click on "Accessibility".
- Open the "Manage accessibility features" section.
- Scroll to "Keyboard and text input" and enable "Enable dictation (speak to type".
- Close the settings screen.
Any time you want to dictate text, you only need to click the microphone icon on the Chromebook Tray.
If you want these directions in a document click HERE!