There are many keyboarding programs out there. Some are device installed programs while others are web-based. I have seen the focus on keyboarding in elementary schools reduce in the past few years, and unfortunately I have seen the negative results. One way to help our students be more productive on devices is giving them the skills to keyboard (this coming from a 45-year old that cannot type...guilty). One of the easiest programs to use to increase keyboarding is Typing Club. There is even a FREE school version. Check it out and get your students keyboarding!
Create a Teacher Account:
- Click “Get Started for Free”.
- Choose “Teacher”.
- Fill in all the boxes (including searching for your school).
- In the “URL” box fill in the text you want students going to (I entered in my name).
- Then continue to your dashboard.
Create a Class and Import Students:
- Go to “Classes” on the left side.
- This is where it pays off to be using Google Classroom! Click on “Google Classroom”.
- Follow the steps to select the Classroom you want included.
- In the “Classes” dashboard, click in the class you just created from Google Classroom.
- On the right side is the link you need to share with your class. I recommend posting this as an announcement in Google Classroom to make it easiest for students to easily go.
- Once your students click the link they can “Sign in using your Google account”.
You are all set!
One note: With the FREE version, progress is kept for 30 days. If your students do not sign in and use the program within that time, they will lose their progress and have to start over.
If you want these steps in a Document, click Here!