One of the greatest things about having student devices is the ability for students to share their learning. Google Cast for Education is the perfect tool to help students share their work with others through the teacher’s computer screen. This extension allows students to project their computer screen to the teacher’s computer. While this computer is attached to the projection unit the student’s screen to be seen by the whole class. This is an easy way to have students share, teach, and collaborate with others. Follow the steps below to get set up and casting.
Teacher Set Up and Launch:
- Install the Google Cast for Education Extension from the Chrome Web Store.
- Click the Cast icon in Chrome to set up the extension.
- Choose a name for your device.
- The main landing page of the extension looks like this:
- You can click the “Settings” icon to rename your device. You can click the “Share” icon to select who to allow casting to your device.
- Choose who can cast to your screen. (Keep in mind that these must be from within your own domain.)
- You can just click the box and all your Google Classroom groups will appear to select which you want to allow.
- You can type in any group created in your domain contacts.
- You can enter a specific email address to allow sharing
- You can also set up how they access:
- Can request: Teacher will be notified that a student is requesting access
- Can Cast: Student can cast with no assistance from teacher
Once the extension is installed all you need to do is click on it to allow students access. It needs to be running in order to allow students to cast to your screen.
- Students will click on the 3 dots in Chrome and click on “Cast”.
- In the popup screen they will choose the device to cast to.
- Their screen will now be displayed on the teacher screen.
- When they are done they click the blue casting icon in the top of Chrome.
- Click “Stop”.
If you want these steps in a document, click Here!